Clean up your diet, take your LuRong, perform the WODs, transform your life, and win!
The Challenge begins Monday September 17th and runs through Sunday November 18th. You will be regularly tracking your diet and your Cheats throughout the Challenge. At the end of each week your scores for completing your WOD’s will be recorded and validated by your affiliate owner or trainer.
Your total score will be a combination of your WOD Performance points, your dietary compliance, Life Transformation (measured by performance and body measurements improvements), and bonus points.
At the end of the LuRong Paleo Challenge, Individual Champions for each division will be crowned and take home a Performance Outfitting Package worth over $1,000. The Affiliate Team with the highest average score (minimum 20 contestants) will take home the Affiliate Grand Prize: $50,000 Gym Makeover Package.
In addition, the top performers in the Weekly Skill WODs, will receive a Weekly Performance Prize.
- Challenge starts September 17th
- Weeks 1 & 2 Competitors will complete 3 Benchmark WODs, start eating Paleo, take body measurements and before photos, and make personal and fitness goals.
- Weeks 3-7 Competitors Compete in 5 Weekly Skill WODs
- Weeks 8-9 Competitors will repeat the 3 Benchmark WODs, retake body measurements, take an after photo, upload video testimonials, and finish tracking their goals.
- Challenge Ends November 18th
Your overall score will be calculated from the following components: dietary compliance, WOD performance, life transformation (improvements), and bonus points.
- 3 Benchmark WODs in the first 2 weeks of the challenge. The total completion time for all 3 WODs is your Benchmark Score. Your percentile finish within your division will award you points towards your total score.
- Weeks 3-7 are Weekly Skill WODs. Each week’s performance will award points based on your percentile placement within your division. Winners in each division of each region will win a Weekly Performance WOD Prize.
- 3 Benchmark WODs to wrap up the last two weeks (8 and 9) of the Challenge. Your total time for these WODs will be compared to your first score to generate your Performance Improvement Score.
- Each week your dietary score will start at 35 points. If you maintain a perfect week your score you will receive a bonus of 5 points. Every cheat will cost you 5 points. Yes you can end up in the negative for the week, so no binging.
- Cheats are defined by eating grains, starches, processed foods, sugar, artificial sugar, juice, soda, alcohol, dairy, or anything else you can’t pronounce.
- Multiple cheats- in one item has multiple no-no’s it counts at one cheat, but if you eat multiple bad items in one meal you will be docked for 2 cheats. For example, a piece of cheese pizza is one cheat, but spaghetti with garlic bread is 2 cheats.
- The most you can lose in one meal is 2 cheats.
Life Transformation/ Improvements
- The Benchmark WOD scores at the end of the challenge will be compared to the start. From the difference we will calculate the percentage of improvement and points are awarded.
- Before and After Body Measurements will be taken and you will be awarded points for changes
- Receive 20 Bonus Points for completing All 3 Benchmark WODs at the beginning and 20 More at the end
- Receive 5 bonus points for every Weekly Still WOD that you complete
- Making personal or fitness goals, and tracking your progress, will give you 15 Bonus Points
- Waist size at the belly button (in inches)
- Hips at the top of the hip bone
- Hips at the crease of the hips
- Chest (variations for men and women)
- Top half of arm
- Men’s Open
- Women’s Open
- Men’s Masters 45+
- Women’s Masters 45+
Every participant must be an active member of a CrossFit Affiliate. Your owner or trainer must register their Affiliate with the LuRong Paleo Challenge (See Registration Page) in order to validate your WOD scores and components in the challenge. When you register for the challenge you will indicate your affiliate. In addition, your body measurements must be taken by a trainer or owner of your affiliate. Remember, you must ensure your affiliate is registered by the time the challenge starts in order for you scores to count towards winning prizes.
You are responsible to regularly accessing your account to enter your diet scores, WOD scores, and other components such as body measurements, goals, before and after photos, etc. Your will be reminded on your account homepage when each of the components is due, but the responsibility ultimately is yours. Additionally, all WOD descriptions, and other activities to accomplish will be announced on your account home page after logging in to your account.
As a general rule, you have up to 36 hours to enter your diet compliance for a given day, and if nothing was entered it will automatically count as 2 cheats and be subtracted from your overall score. WOD scores must be submitted by each Saturday at 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time unless otherwise indicated. In addition, your owner/trainer must validate your WOD scores by logging in to their affiliate account and approving your submission.
WODs will be announced on Sunday nights which will allow 6 days for completion of the Weekly WODs. For the Benchmark WOD at the beginning and end of the challenge you will have 2 weeks to complete all 3 workouts. The total time for all 3 workouts will be your Benchmark Score.
If you are unable to complete a given WOD you will have the option of doing it scaled. If you perform a Benchmark WOD scaled in the first portion of the challenge, you must also perform the Benchmark WOD under the same scale and conditions at the end of the challenge. Scaled workouts will still be rewarded with bonus points, but the results will not be counted toward winning a Weekly Performance Prize.
WOD Performance will be awarded points based on a percentile compared to other competitors within your division (Male, Female, age)
Every WOD score will be awarded based on performance within your division, and each division will have an overall Champion and will be handsomely rewarded. See the prize page.
The top Performer of each Weekly WOD in each division and region will be awarded the Weekly Prize designated for that week. We have 5 regions with 4 divisions totally 20 weekly prizes being awarded.
In order for an affiliate to qualify as a team and have a chance at the Grand Prize, there must be at least 20 competitors from your affiliate registered and linked to your affiliate.
All affiliate owners must create register for an affiliate account in order to have your clients linked. Register early, as you will receive updates when new team members register and when you reach your goal of at least 20.
The affiliate team score calculated from the average of the total all overall scores for each team member. You are only as strong as your weakest link, so it is time to unite.
Under extreme circumstances an affiliate may be allowed to drop up to 2 participants from their team score (if there remain at least 20 counted scores), but the final decision will be up to the discretion of the Challenge Scoring Committee. A qualifying drop out may include the following scenarios, but is ultimately under the discretion of the LuRong Paleo Challenge Team and Medical Board:
- Severe injury that won’t allow a person to complete the remaining WODS and has medical reason to discontinue dietary regulations.
- Medical Condition or hospitalization for more than 3 days
- Family emergency such as a death or hospitalization
If something serious does arrive call the Challenge Scoring Committee and explain the circumstances. Basically, you can’t drop someone just because they don’t feel like doing it anymore. As a team, pick them up and keep moving. We are all in this together and it WON’T be easy.
Affiliate owners are responsible for judging the WODS to ensure that each member is performing each exercise and movement properly according to the regulations set for each WOD. Affiliate owners are also responsible for validating WOD times.
If you as an affiliate or any of your members win any grand prizes, early bird prizes, weekly prizes, or sweepstakes prizes, you are also responsible to provide a photo opportunity to show off the prize and your affiliate to our competition Facebook page. Send a special shout out to the sponsor and boast your gym logo.
Cheating is absolutely not tolerated in this challenge or in this community. If you are tempted to cheat, don’t join this challenge! You are not only cheating yourself, but all your brothers and sisters who are working hard to make life changes. We have specific parameters in place to ensure all scores are accurate and that no foul play will take place during the challenge.
- Your affiliate owner/trainer will be validating your scores each week. Meaning, the owner or certified trainer must be judging your WOD’s and taking your body measurements and B&F photos.
- Your affiliate owner/trainers will see you regularly, and will be discussing your diet
- Your fellow competitors may report any known instances of cheating to the LuRong Paleo Challenge Staff
- Before and After Photos Don’t Lie
- The LuRong Challenge Staff reserves the right to audit any participant or affiliate at any time to provide video evidence of remaining workouts.
Any occurrence of cheating will result in your disqualification of any prizes in this competition and will result in a “0” total score with will be averaged into your affiliate team score. In addition, cheating may result in being banned from future LuRong Paleo Challenges or other events sponsored or run by LuRong Living. Instances of proved cheating, including individuals and affiliates, will be shared on facebook, blogs, etc. Your reputation is not worth it. Cheating will result in the forfeiture of any prizes won during the competition and legal action if necessary.
Bottom line, we are looking for real competitors and people who are committed to life change and want to enjoy their experience. Cheaters, fudgers, stretchers of the truth… eat another doughnut!
As a simple explanation we define Paleo as eating meat, nuts, veggies, seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar, no dairy. A Paleo recommended serving consists of 40% carbohydrate, 30% Protein, and 30% Fat. Encouraged Foods
- Lean Meats such as Lean beef (trimmed of visible fat), Flank steak, Top Sirloin, Extra-lean hamburger (90/10), Lean pork (trimmed of visible fat), Pork loin, Pork chops, Any other lean cut
- Lean poultry (white meat, skin removed) such as Chicken breast, Turkey breast, Game hen breasts
- Eggs from Chicken (go for the enriched omega 3 variety), Duck, or Goose
- Other meats including organ meats and game meats such as venison, wild boar, or wild turkey
- Nuts- Tree Nuts. Peanuts are not Nuts and are a no-no
- Oils such as Olive, avocado, walnut, flaxseed, and canola oils (use in moderation—4 tablespoons or less a day when weight loss is of primary importance)
- Beverages such as Coffee,Tea
- Paleo Sweets such as Dried fruits and Nuts mixed with dried and fresh fruits
- Sweet potatoes, yams
- Some lean bacon
Don’t Do It- These are Cheats
- Dairy Foods such as Butter, Cheese, Cream, Dairy spreads, Frozen yogurt, Ice cream, and All processed foods made with any dairy products
- Cereal Grains: Barley, Corn, Millet, Oats, Rice, Rye, Sorghum, Wheat, and bread products including bread, rolls, muffins, noodles, crackers, cookies, cake, doughnuts, pancakes, waffles, pasta, spaghetti, lasagna, wheat tortillas, pizza, pita bread, flat bread, and all processed foods made with wheat or wheat flour
- Cereal Grainlike Seeds: Amaranth, Buckwheat,Quinoa
- Legumes: All beans, Black-eyed peas, Chickpeas, Lentils, Peas, Peanut butter, Peanuts, Soybeans and all soybean products, including tofu
- Starchy Vegetables: Starchy tubers, Cassava root, Manioc, Potatoes and all potato products (French fries, potato chips, etc.), Tapioca pudding
- Fatty Meats
- Soft Drinks and Fruit Juices: All sugary soft drinks,Canned, bottled, and freshly squeezed fruit drinks (which lack the fiber of fresh fruit and have a much higher glvcemic index)
- Sweets: Candy, Honey, Sugars